Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Houston, we have a border...

I sewed the border on Haeli's quilt this morning. It's a good thing I'm striving for "cute" and "cozy" rather than accuracy, because this corner is obviously not square. Oh well. The piecing in some of the blocks is off, too, but I doubt Haeli will mind. I don't think it's veered into the "loving hands at home" camp, and if you think so, please don't tell me. I'm not redoing anything.


Next, the binding, which will be this striped fabric, assuming there is enough:


I think I'll apply it perpendicular to the border print. Ideally, I would have mitered the border, but as I say, oh well.  I am learning a lot from this project. 

It should look something like this: 

Just imagine that there's no space between those photos. I'm not inclined to figure out how to make one abut the other. Again, oh well. 

Thanksgiving looms tomorrow, and should be the easiest, most stress-free yet, at least for me -- I will not be hosting, and will only have to drive across town. 

Last year, I cooked the turkey on Wednesday. I don't know why I thought to do that, or why I never thought to do that before,  but it makes a huge difference in the kitchen "traffic". I don't think I will ever again try to cook everything on Thanksgiving Day. 

The turkey was cooked and disassembled last night. I have two 9x13 cake pans full of meat (one dark, one light), a stockpot with the carcass and odd bits, and nearly two quarts of broth/drippings. Interestingly, it's easier to fit those four items into the downstairs fridge than it is to get the roaster in there. 

I will make gravy and stuffing tomorrow, and the rest of the family will bring the other components of the feast. 

I wish you a pleasant Thanksgiving, among family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment