Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'm still here...

and still playing with thread, though I haven't had time to post lately.

My daughter & son-in-law from San Antonio were here for a glorious week, and I've otherwise been keeping my head down getting things organized for the local fiber guild's Annual Show & Sale, which I have coordinated since 2007.

The S&S is moving into the 20th century, if not the 21st, this year -- we will have an actual CASH REGISTER instead of multiple pocket calculators, and will have a Guest Book/Email List Database (coded by my other son-in-law) running on a laptop (lent by the same). I will have the regular paper guest book available, if people don't want to type their info into the laptop.

I publicly committed to entering 12 items in this year's S&S, and will just make it. I have to block 2 scarves today. I have so many more ideas than time.

I've also finished knitting a commission sweater for a client; just have to weave in the ends, block it, and weigh it to determine the yardage consumed & send him an invoice. Then the knitting of Christmas stockings for clients will commence.

Here are some pictures of last year's S&S. We hold it in the worship space of a local church, which looks like this on Thursday evening:


and is transformed to this by Friday afternoon:





Guild members' demonstrations of fiber techniques are always a popular attraction. Last year, Esther Peregrine demonstrated silk reeling, using cocoons from the silkworms she raised.




She'll be doing this again this year.

Barb Stultz demonstrated weaving on a tri-loom, on which the warp threads are applied as you weave:




It's a pretty slick technique - I have a tri-loom, but haven't yet played with it. The white and lavender wrap with the lavender flower pin above was woven by another member, on a similar tri-loom. 

The S&S is open for business Friday 4-9 and Saturday 10-4. Then we take it all down, "fold our tents" and steal away until next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment