Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Now, It Begins...

...the mad Christmas-stocking-knitting-marathon, that is.

For the last several years, I've been knitting Christmas stockings on commission, usually replicating the family stockings knitted by Grandma or Great-Aunt Tilly for the new babies, in-laws, etc. who have come along since Grandma's or Great-Aunt Tilly's demise. One year, I duplicated six family stockings that had been lost in a house fire. It's very satisfying work.

Today, I am finishing the first of this year's commission stockings, which had been knitted by the client almost to the heel shaping. I've finished the toe and woven in ends, and still have to embroider the name on the top, sew up the seam, and add the hanging loop. It should be complete by dinner time (it's mid-morning as I write this), assuming my grandbabies cooperate -- they'll both be here today.


I've gradually accumulated a fairly extensive library of vintage and contemporary Christmas stocking books and patterns. I'm sure this surprises no one. 


Two or three years ago, I decided it was time to knit proper Christmas stockings for my own immediate family, the "cobbler's children" rule being rather dismayingly in evidence. Since we have our own new half-dozen family members (my son's family), I took my stocking books to his home when we went to his son's first birthday celebration. Each of the kids chose a pattern, and so did my son & daughter-in-law. She also selected a pattern for the baby's stocking.

I'll get started on those stockings once I've finished the commission orders for this year, and post photos as they are finished.

Then there's the pullover I've contracted to knit as a Christmas gift for a 6'4" individual...

No comments:

Post a Comment